Billy Bob Thornton Wins Golden Globe for Best Actor in Drama TV Series for ‘Goliath’
Billy Bob Thornton won the Golden Globe for best actor in a drama television series for his role in Amazon’s “Goliath.”
Thornton beat out Rami Malek of USA’s “Mr. Robot,” Bob Odenkirk of AMC’s “Better Call Saul,” Matthew Rhys of FX’s “The Americans” and Liev Schreiber of Showtime’s “Ray Donovan,” who were all nominated in the best TV drama actor category.
Thornton dedicated his win to a production assistant, Luke Scott, on the show who had passed away.
Backstage, when Thornton was the first winner to speak to members of the press, who spoke more at length about the production assistant.
“Luke made me want to come to work. He was the guy who when I got there, I knew that his face, it was such a joyous face and he was so happy just to be there and have that job and be around the business. To lose your life at 23 years old, when you’re just starting that job,” Thornton said, “At the end of the day, the two entities I have to think are Luke Scott and Amazon.”
Speaking about his role on “Goliath,” Thornton explained why he was excited to take on the Amazon role. “I always wanted to play a lawyer because I think lawyers and actors have the same job — lawyers are trying to convince the jury and actors are trying to convince the audience.”
Thornton was also asked about the future of “Goliath,” which has not yet been renewed for Season 2. He joked, “If I told you, I’d have to kill you,” but then he elaborated, revealing that Amazon does want to do another season — but he does not definitely know about a renewal. “They would like to do another season — I know that much,” he said. Elaborating on the first season, he continued, “This one was written in a way that it had a beginning, middle and an end…but I honestly believe there is more potential for the show than what was in the first season. I think we need to know more about where this guy came from.”
Variety had predicted that Rhys would walk away with the award tonight because of the buzz this year for “The Americans,” which has been ignored in previous award show seasons. Our expert also predicted that Thornton was a close second, given his pedigree at the Globes in the past, plus the Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s tendency to gravitate toward new shows — in this case “Goliath.”
Last year, Jon Hamm won the award for the last season of AMC’s “Mad Men.” Given the sentimental value of the final run, Hamm was a shoo-in, giving his fellow nominees little chance to win. Malek, Odenkirk and Schreiber were all up against Hamm in 2016.
This year’s category was comprised of three returning nominees (Malek, Odenkirk and Schreiber) and two category first-timers (Rhys and Thornton), though Thornton did win a Golden Globe in 2015 for FX’s “Fargo,” which fell into the category of Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television. For Schreiber, the nomination marked his fourth consecutive in the category for “Ray Donovan.”
Source : Variety
- star FILM REVIEW: फिल्म देखने से पहले पढ़ें कैसी है 'ओके जानू'
- star The Chainsmokers Reveal New Single 'Paris' Release Date
- star Dangal becomes the most grossing Indian film ever, replaces PK
- star Golden Globes 2017: the complete list of winners
- star Ryan Gosling thanks wife Eva Mendes in heartwarming Golden Globes speech after winning best actor
- Load More...
- star Trump expected to sign executive orders on immigration
- star युपी चुनाव : साइकिल का चुनाव चिन्ह जब्त, चुनाव आयोग ने दिया अपना फैसला
- star Lionel Messi statue vandalised in Buenos Aires
- star World Bank cuts India’s FY17 growth forecast to 7%
- star Amazon removes Indian flag doormat after Sushma Swaraj's stern warning
- Load More...
- star Oscar nominations 2017 announced – see full list
- star Prison Break season 5 extended trailer is going viral all over the inetrnet
- star दंगल की गीता यानी फातिमा साना शेख के जन्मदिन का खास अखाडा केक, यहाँ देखिये तस्वीरे
- star Cristiano Ronaldo beats Lionel Messi to win Fifa best player award
- star Lionel Messi saves Barcelona again with this perfect free kick
- Load More...
- star Makar Sakranti : why it is celebrated and Interesting facts you might not know
- star मिलिए कृतिका पुरोहित से: भारत की पहली नेत्रहीन डॉक्टर
- star #FoodHistory : Where did scrumptious Samosa originate and how we made it Indian ? Find out here
- star जब गावस्कर की धमाकेदार परफॉरमेंस देखकर वेस्ट इंडीज ने बनाया उनके लिए गाना, यहाँ पढ़िए
- star You'll be surprised to know what Mahatma Gandhi suggested as a solution to eve-teasing
- Load More...